Sunday, December 30, 2007

 

My Violin Guru's Father

I saw the tamil movie called salangai oli -- it has its share of moments that have aged, but its central theme is quite enduring: that excellence does not necessarily imply popularity.

I remember my violin guru's father, who attempted to teach me the "art of raga aalapana". An extraordinarily talented musician, he spent most of the time contemplating about music, and would make notes in his diary. Equally adept at both carnatic and hindustani music, his music, in some sense, attempted to unify both classical forms -- not unlike the protagonist of salangai oli. A simple, and a straightforward person, he did not have a "successful musical career" and hence was not popular among the masses. It is all easy to become philosophical and question the importance of popularity. But...

I will remember Sri Thirugogarnam Ramabhadran most, for showing me how to be a good "rasigan".


Comments:
yeah, the problem is unless somebody bcos popular,his/her excellence is not known to others.
obvious, but ...
 
right arun, that is more or less the definition of popularity.
 
Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre =) Depois dá uma passada lá no meu site, que é sobre o CresceNet, espero que goste. O endereço dele é http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . Um abraço.
 
i reckon the world has never known the best in many fields. sport and science may be exceptions.

would a great philosopher bother to educate others about his philosophy? i doubt.
 
i reckon the world has never known the best in many fields.

True, I agree. I am not even sure about sport and science.

Consider science and this is sort of contrived -- I havent read a scholarly article with russian authors -- does that mean russians don't do good research. No, just because russia and japan have scholarly articles published in russian and japanese primarily.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?